St Joseph’s Specialist Trust, Cranleigh, Surrey
Earn up to £23,830 FTE as a Teaching Assistant at St Joseph’s Specialist Trust
dependant on qualifications and experience* With an additional £1,000 Retention Bonus**
Do you want to change lives, whilst also having the opportunity to build a rewarding career with one to one support in the beautiful Surrey Hills?
We are seeking a number of Teaching Assistants to support growing student numbers, to join the education team in our specialist school and college. A Teaching Assistant at St Joseph’s is very different from a mainstream TA position. During the school week, you will be supporting students, age 5-19, with severe social communication difficulties, complex learning disabilities and often challenging behaviours to access therapy based education. With your compassion and guidance, you will help our students learn and achieve the greatest possible level of independence relative to their complex needs and help prepare them for life beyond school or college.
Our classes have between 4 and 10 students. They are grouped by ability and to meet their social needs rather than age. Some class time is structured. Many students follow a personalised timetable. They learn core skills including numeracy, literacy and science as well as life and living skills including cookery and gardening. Lessons are often 30 minutes long. Some of our students are non-verbal using alternative means of communication including Makaton, signs, symbols or communications aids, often using a multi-sensory approach.
Supporting our students can sometimes be challenging. They may get frustrated, anxious and emotional and you will need to guide them through it by helping them to manage their feelings and behaviour. You will have the ongoing support of a skilled and dedicated team. Comprehensive training and mentoring includes learning about safeguarding, autism and positive behaviour support. Some of our students may need personal care.
All of our TAs take part in a twice weekly TA training package that includes theory and practical sessions and leads to a teaching apprentice qualification which has been approved by the CPD standards office. If you are recruited, you will be required to complete Team Teach positive behaviour support training as part of your induction before employment.
You don’t need experience to apply. You do need empathy and compassion, physical and mental resilience and the drive to make a real difference to the lives of our young people.
School hours are 36 per week: Monday 08.30-16.00, Tuesday – Thursday 08.30 – 16.15 and Friday 08.30 – 15.45 plus thirty minutes admin time.
*Teaching Assistant actual salary pro rata is £16,436 – £17,427 (£19,695 – £20,883 FTE) for 39 weeks, term time plus CPD days, rising to pro rata £18,105 – £19,886 (£21,695 – £23,830 FTE) for a Senior Teaching Assistant after completing the TA apprenticeship (paid for by us) and 2 years with the Trust.
It is also possible to apply for Higher Level Teaching Assistant roles (class or subject based) as they become available, with unqualified HLTA starting salaries from £19,886 (£23,830 FTE) or qualified from £22,964 (27,518 FTE).
What are we looking for?
- Literacy and Numeracy Skills: you will need to support the students in their learning and be able to read, understand and complete medication forms, risk assessments and student reports and records.
- Common Sense: you will need work in a team and dynamically risk assess challenging situations to keep yourself and others safe.
- Communication skills: you need to be able to communicate effectively with children, families and professionals.
- Patience: you will need to adapt to the pace of each individual young person and be able to remain calm when faced with anxious, emotional or frustrated behaviours, some of which would be deemed unacceptable elsewhere.
Why St Joseph’s?
- A two year nationally accredited TA qualification paid for by Trust with dedicated training
- **£1,000 Retention bonus – £250 after 1 month, £250 after 1 year, £500 after 18 months at Trust
- Team Teach positive behaviour support training, refreshed every two years, with ongoing assistance from on site Team Teach tutors within our Inclusion Team
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Personalised approach to CPD and regular 1:1 line management support with online appraisals
- Free hot lunch during term time
- Generous pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
- Comprehensive Induction programme
- Employee assistance service (confidential, professional wellbeing and counselling 24/7 service for you and your family members)
- Excellent network of support across the organisation including a team of Adult Mental Health First Aid and Occupational Health
- Cranleigh Leisure Centre discount on gym, swim and fitness classes
- Based on a beautiful 23 acre site in a semi-rural area on the edge of the Surrey Hills (own transport is desirable)
By joining St Joseph’s you become a key worker.
How to apply
Candidates must submit a fully completed application form. For an application pack (including form, job profile and person specification), please visit us at www.st-josephscranleigh.surrey.sch.uk/recruitment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An electronic application form is also available on the recruitment page of the Trust website.
Closing date for receipt of application forms is February 18th, 2022 at 9am. Interviews will be ongoing and arranged for shortlisted candidates as received (currently by zoom due to covid restrictions).
St Joseph’s Specialist Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. These positions require an enhanced DBS disclosure.