Clervaux Specialist Garden School is an 100-acre site located near Clow Beck in Darlington and is part of the Ruskin Mill Trust, providing Specialist Independent Education to children from 10 to 19 years.
For over 30 years, Ruskin Mill Trust has provided Specialist Independent Education to children and adults with complex needs including learning difficulties, autistic spectrum conditions and disabilities. Our provisions offer both day and residential placements and applications. Inspired by Aonghus Gordon using the insights of Rudolf Steiner, John Ruskin and William Morris, Ruskin Mill Trust works with hand, head, heart and place to provide students with the tools to transform material and in doing so transform themselves.
40 hours per week for 40 weeks per year
SEND Teaching Assistant
Grade 5: FTE £17,943 – £19,443 per annum,
Actual salary will be £15,744 – £17,056
Clervaux Garden School is a new, exciting and innovative provision which will offer full time education to children from 10-19 years who have significant/complex social, emotional or educational difficulties.
At Clervaux Garden School students will learn through a dynamic curriculum which includes practical skills; textiles, green woodwork, pottery, cooking and blacksmithing with a significant period of time involved in growing biodynamic produce in the school gardens and looking after the farm animals.
You will need to be:
- Honest, reliable, an excellent communicator, resilient, hard-working, versatile, and a great team player.
- You must be keen to improve your own knowledge and skills in a genuinely unique educational environment.
- Experienced in, or willing to develops skills in, supporting Functional Skills.
You must have:
- Experience of working with children in an educational setting.
- Knowledge of how children learn and an interest in developing the whole child.
- High levels of literacy and numeracy skills.
- An interest in / or skills in working in the outdoor environment.
- A desire to learn and a passion for working with children and young people with additional needs.
In return, we offer significant personal development opportunities to work within a holistic organisation that is complex and growing.
The post is subject to satisfactory references, an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for both Adults and Children, a medical check, evidence of qualifications, plus verification of the right to work in the UK. Clervaux Garden School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Closing date: 18th February 2022