Employer: St Joseph’s Specialist Trust
Closing: 27th February 2024
£56,122 – £65,275 + St Joseph’s allowance of £2,270 with an additional £1,000 Retention Bonus**
Do you want to change lives, whilst also having the opportunity to build a rewarding career?
We are seeking an Assistant Headteacher to join the education team in our specialist school and college.
This is an Assistant Headteacher position with a difference. Set within 23-acres in the beautiful Surrey countryside near the historic city of Guildford, you will help manage a dedicated team of over 100 staff supporting 74 learners from aged 5-19 years. Our students are currently drawn from 21 LAs and all have moderate, complex or severe learning difficulties.
As an ambitious teacher (from either the mainstream or specialist primary or secondary schools’ sector) you will help oversee an outstanding range of facilities, with teaching specialist support, chaplaincy and care from a dedicated team of professionals. SENCO experience, whilst welcome, is not a pre-requisite. Having the heart and the will to succeed, however, is.
During the school week, you will be supporting students, age 5-19, with severe social communication difficulties, complex learning disabilities and often challenging behaviours to access therapy-based education. With your compassion and guidance, you will help our students learn and achieve the greatest possible level of independence relative to their complex needs and help prepare them for life beyond school or college.
Our classes have between 4 and 10 students. They are grouped by ability and to meet their social needs rather than age. Some class time is structured. Many students follow a personalised timetable. They learn core skills including numeracy, literacy and science as well as life and living skills including cookery and gardening. Lessons are often 30 minutes long. Some of our students are non-verbal using alternative means of communication including Makaton, signs, symbols or communications aids, often using a multi-sensory approach.
Supporting our students can sometimes be challenging. They may get frustrated, anxious and emotional and you will need to guide them through it by helping them to manage their feelings and behaviour. You will have the ongoing support of a skilled and dedicated team. Comprehensive training and mentoring include learning about safeguarding, autism and positive behaviour support.
What are we looking for?
- Qualification Teacher Status and evidence of leadership and management delivery
- Successful leadership and management experience
- A creative and strategic thinker
- Good knowledge and understanding of a range of SEN Practices
- The ability to plan strategically within Education and to monitor and evaluate the outcome of planning
Why St Joseph’s?
- **£1,000 Retention bonus – £250 after 1 month, £250 after 1 year, £500 after 18 months at Trust
- Life Assurance and Medical Cashplan (after qualifying period of employment)
- Team Teach positive behaviour support training, refreshed every two years, with ongoing assistance from on-site Team Teach tutors within our Inclusion Team
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Personalised approach to CPD and regular 1:1 line management support with online appraisals
- Free hot lunch during term time, provided by our excellent in-house catering team
- Ample free on-site parking
- Employee assistance service (confidential, professional wellbeing and counselling 24/7 service for you and your family members)
- Excellent network of support across the organisation including a team of Adult Mental Health First Aid and Occupational Health
- Based on a beautiful 23-acre site in a semi-rural area on the edge of the Surrey Hills (own transport is desirable)
How to apply
We will accept CVs for initial review but, per safer recruitment guidelines for our setting, a fully completed application form must be submitted for consideration for shortlisting for interview. For an application pack (including form, job profile and person specification), please visit us at www.st-josephscranleigh.surrey.sch.uk/recruitment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
An electronic application form is also available on the recruitment page of the Trust website.
Recruitment is ongoing at this time and interviews will be arranged for suitable shortlisted candidates as received.
St Joseph’s Specialist Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of
children and young people. This position requires an enhanced DBS and reference checks.
The Trust is committed to Equal Opportunities.