Newly Designated Safeguarding Lead Training – via Zoom
Thursday 3rd & Friday 4th February 2022.
9.15 am (9.30 am start) to 4.15 pm on both days.
Keeping children safe in Education (DfE 2021) states that every school or FE college should have a senior member of staff designated to take lead responsibility for dealing with child protection issues, providing advice and support to other staff, liaising with the Local Authority and working with other agencies. The guidance goes on to say that there should be cover for the DSL available at all times when pupils are on site and that these deputy designated staff should be trained to the same level as the DSL.
Many local authorities / LSCPs / MAPs offer training for new designated staff but these courses rarely cover the challenges of safeguarding children with disabilities or complex needs – or the legalities of / procedures for cross-border referrals, for example. This course is designed specifically for designated staff in NASS member schools and colleges who will have a responsibility for managing safeguarding and child protection arrangements including supporting colleagues in dealing with suspicions or disclosures of child abuse and for the assessment and referral of such cases to the relevant Children’s Social Work service.
This training requires a 2 day commitment. The training will be separated into sessions over each day to allow for screen breaks and attendees to take a lunch break.
As this is a virtual training event you will require audio/visual capability i.e. desktop with webcam plus headphones and a microphone or laptop/device with microphone and camera. Delegates will be required to have their camera on during the training.
To equip designated staff with the skills, knowledge and understanding to undertake their responsibilities for Child Protection and safeguarding.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Recognise the impact of an individual’s own values and attitudes in dealing with child protection issues in school/college;
- Identify possible signs that indicate that a child has experienced or is at risk of abuse;
- Follow “Working Together 2018” inter-agency child protection procedures in accordance with the relevant LSCP / MAP guidelines;
- Use the locally published thresholds / criteria for action and escalation procedures to ensure children receive the support they need;
- Understand the additional challenges faced by the special school sector, including out-of-authority placement, children placed under s20, etc;
- Contribute to Initial and Review child protection conferences and planning meetings;
- Undertake their responsibilities as described in ‘Keeping children safe in Education’ 2021 in relation to early help, prevention and support;
- Review current policy and procedures in their own school in order to continually develop and improve practice.
Certificates will be emailed to participants following the completion of the training and receipt of a completed evaluation form. To receive your certificate you must be in attendance for the whole event.
About the Presenter
Carolyn is a highly experienced and skilled trainer in the field of child protection and safeguarding. She has already run very successful training programmes for Designated Safeguarding Leads and Safer Recruitment within our sector and will work closely with NASS to ensure that this course meets our need.
Terms & Conditions
The delegate fees shown are per person.
At the point of booking, payment can be made via credit/debit card or an invoice can be requested.
Our invoice terms are strictly payment within 30 days of the date of the invoice.
Bookings are non-transferable but delegate substitutions will be accepted.
50% of delegate fee will be refunded for cancellations received by 21st January 2022
After this date no fees are refundable for cancellation or non-attendance.
All cancellations must be confirmed in writing by email.
We reserve the right to cancel a course due to insufficient numbers.
In the unlikely event that NASS have to cancel an event, our liability in the event of cancellation is limited to a full refund of the event fee only.
Deadline for receipt of bookings: 26th January 2022
Deadline for receipt of cancellations: 21st January 2022