Changes to DBS Filtering Rules briefing – 8th December 2020
On the 14th September 2020, the House of Commons passed the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020, which has been described as the most significant change to criminal record disclosure since 1975. The new rules will be implemented in the very near future with little time for employers to prepare and will have a significant impact on organisations that are entitled to seek enhanced DBS certificates such as schools, colleges and children’s homes.
The new rules are extremely complicated; employers have a number of responsibilities including:-
- to inform potential applicants of the new filtering rules
- to ask the correct questions on self-disclosure forms and at suitability interviews
- to provide applicants with the contact details of organisations who can provide impartial advice on what should or should not be included on a self-disclosure
- to destroy any records or notes relating to criminal information at the point that it becomes protected / filtered
- to ensure that recruiters understand what can and cannot be taken into account when making recruitment decisions, including offences that will be filtered even though they are unspent
We are offering NASS members a briefing, presented by Carolyn Eyre via Zoom, that looks at the Supreme Court judgment that led to the new rules and the main changes that member organisations will need to make to current recruitment procedures.
This event is only open to NASS members.
Terms & Conditions
Full payment or a purchase order or a purchase order number is required at the point of booking.
Places cannot be guaranteed for bookings not accompanied by payment or purchase order/purchase order number.
Bookings are non-transferable but delegate substitutions will be accepted.
Where booked with a purchase order, our invoice terms are strictly payment within 30 days of the date of the invoice.
50% of delegate fee will be refunded for cancellations received by Tuesday 1st December 2020.
After this date no fees are refundable for cancellation or non-attendance.
All cancellations must be confirmed in writing by email or letter as noted above for booking.
We reserve the right to cancel a course due to insufficient numbers.
In the unlikely event that NASS have to cancel an event, our liability in the event of cancellation is limited to a full refund of the event fee only.